Brush Up on Good Dental Care
A great smile demands great dental care. See if your oral hygiene habits are healthy and learn how to make them even better with these tips from the best dentist experts.
Brushing your teeth is the cornerstone of good dental care. Yet not everyone brushes the right way and they end up with dental problems. To help you brush better, the American Dental Association provided these tried-and-true tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day: Take your time in order to completely clean your teeth.
- Pick the proper tools: Find a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. You may want to try an electric toothbrush, which can remove more plaque than traditional brushes.
- Replace your tools at the right time: Get a new toothbrush or electric brush replacement head every three to four months. Replace it sooner if it becomes worn down or you’ve been sick.
- Clean your tools: Always rinse your toothbrush after brushing and keep it in an upright position to dry. Avoid covering or storing it in a closed container so it doesn’t breed bacteria.
- Use the right technique: Brush your teeth using gentle, back-and-forth motions. Be sure to brush the front, back, and chewing surfaces of teeth, along with your tongue.
The best dentist professionals agree that brushing is good, but it’s not enough to reach the food particles trapped in the tiny spaces between teeth. If not removed, these can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, and dental care problems. Daily flossing allows you to remove those hidden particles and prevent the problems they cause. But using the right technique is important, so follow these flossing guidelines:
- Be generous: Tear off about 18 inches of dental floss and use a fresh portion of floss on each tooth.
- Be gentle: Gently guide the floss between your teeth using a rubbing motion and curve the floss against the tooth as you reach the gumline.
- Be patient: Slowly slide the floss tooth in an up-and-down motion against every tooth to ensure complete cleaning and coverage.
- Be persistent: Floss at least once a day, and if you find it hard to handle floss, use an interdental cleaner to clean between teeth.
In addition to at-home dental care, you need regular dental cleanings and check-ups from the best dentist for you. Only a professional can provide advanced cleanings, as well as detect and treat dental problems. It’s important to find an affordable dentist and tell them if you see signs of problems before they become a real pain. Contact your dentist if you notice these symptoms:
- Swollen, red, or even tender gums.
- Sudden sensitivity to cold or hot temperatures.
- Bleeding gums.
- Gums that have started pulling away from teeth.
- Loose teeth.
- Shift in alignment between top and bottom teeth.
- Ongoing bad breath.
- Persistent bad taste in your mouth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call Dental One Associates of Dunwoody today at (404) 381-1490 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Dunwoody, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Dunwoody.