10 Tooth Brushing Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
Family dentistry experts see the detrimental effects of sloppy brushing habits every day. Correct tooth brushing is one of the most important elements of proper dental care. Unfortunately, many people make mistakes that can eventually lead to dental problems. Here are ten common brushing missteps you should avoid.
10 Tooth Brushing Mistakes to Avoid
1. Not brushing often enough or long enough. To remove plaque and bacteria effectively, you should brush at least twice daily for two minutes each time.
2. Brushing too often or too hard. Both can damage your gums and tooth enamel. Brush gently no more than three times a day.
3. Incorrect brushing techniques. Use circular or up-and-down strokes to remove plaque, and don’t brush horizontally across your teeth. Be sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth and your tongue.
4. Using the wrong brush. Choose a toothbrush that fits comfortably in your mouth and reaches every tooth.
5. Using hard bristles. Choose a soft-bristled brush and use the proper brushing technique. Hard-bristled toothbrushes will damage tooth enamel.
6. Not brushing the inside surfaces of teeth. The inner surfaces of the lower front teeth are often overlooked.
7. Starting in the same place every time you brush. This may tempt you to spend less time or effort on the last area you brush.
8. Not rinsing your toothbrush after brushing. If you don’t, bacteria will grow on the bristles, and you will reintroduce it into your mouth the next time you brush.
9. Letting your toothbrush stay wet. If your toothbrush remains wet between brushings, bacterial and fungal growth will develop.
10. Not replacing a worn-out toothbrush. Replace your brush at least every three months—or sooner if signs of wear appear.
Find an Affordable Dentist
The proper dental care is essential for protecting your teeth and gums, but brushing alone isn’t enough to ensure optimal oral health. See an affordable dentist in Atlanta at least twice a year for a dental check-up and cleaning.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call Dental One Associates of Dunwoody today at (404) 381-1490 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Dunwoody, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Dunwoody.